‘Words Matter’ why the language of BAME is unhelpful in the fight against institutional racism – Facilitated by Samantha Budd FRSA
In the talk I will be deconstructing the term BAME to provide insight into the complexity of the issue and I hope to encourage everyone to consider that using a using this ‘one size fits all’ term leads many organisations to searching for a ‘silver bullet’ solution rather than embracing the complexity and working towards cultural transformation.
Click here to watch the webinar
About Samantha Budd FRSA
Until recently Samantha Budd was the Chief Executive of an award winning, Higher Education charity and continues as an Associate Director of a NHS mental health trust. The recent focus on racism resulting from the George Floyd and subsequent BLM campaign has brought this hugely important discussion into the public consciousness. She has decided to focus her energy on tackling this issue as an independent advisor helping organisations to develop their confidence and capacity in addressing institutional racism through a holistic approach to cultural transformation.
Her professional life has largely been people focused with a particular emphasis on creating fair access to education, work and health for everyone. Samantha is passionate about EDI issues leading to awards for her teams:
- 2009 Guardian Public Sector Award for an innovative transport solution for disabled students at Gloucestershire County Council;
- 2016 Queens Award for the community volunteering work at Bristol SU;
- 2016 National Centre for Diversity SU of the Year and shortlisted as Chief Executive of the year;
- 2017 Bristol SU recipient of the NUS national Diversity Award.
- 2018 awarded the Simpson King Staff Achievement Award by the NUS
- 2018 awarded Diversity Champion, Education Sector – Inclusive Companies awards
- 2018 Bristol SU ranked 43rd of top 50 Inclusive Companies in the UK
- 2018 Bristol SU winner in the Third Sector Excellence 2-499 category at the Investors in People Awards
- 2019 runner up Charity Governance Awards ( Board inclusivity and Diversity)